Ron Arra’s distance casting accomplishments include:
- In 1983 Ron broke the DuPont Stren U.S. Open "Distance Surf Casting" world record with a cast of 212 yards.
- First American to cast over 600' and 700’ in Tournament Competition”
- National Record cast of 758.44' in the 1985 USA Sport Cast Tournament.
- First person to ever cast across the Cape Cod Canal with a distance of nearly 800'.
- In 1985, Ron was recognized by Sports Illustrated for the new United States record, and was presented an engraved silver bowl as part of their long-running segment "Faces in the Crowd."
In addition to his many speaking engagements and casting demonstrations, at some of the most attended expos in the country, Arra also conducts distance casting lessons that draws anglers from around the world.
Ron Arra's name has been submitted to the International Game Fish Association Fishing Hall Of Fame & Museum’s list of candidates.
The name Ron Arra is now a registered US trademark that
is being featured on a line of Cousins Signature Series Surf Rods and Strike Pro lures.
As a teenager in his home town of Needham, MA, Ron was awarded the "Outstanding Athlete" trophy two years in a row in Track and Field and was selected by the Boston Red Sox Scouting Program to the starting team, centerfield position at Fenway Park, Boston, MA for the Randolph Hearst New England all star team in 1964.
Ron Arra signed a professional contract and played baseball with the Pittsburgh Pirates organization.
After graduating from the University of Massachusetts - Boston Vocational Technical Education Program, Ron became a Massachusetts Certified Vocational Technical Teacher. As a Master Woodworker, Arra went on to teach woodworking for 22 years at an alternative education program for special needs students and troubled youths.
Ron Arra is a longtime resident of Cape Cod, MA, where he enjoys both surf fishing and fly fishing for striped bass and other game fish.
Ron attributes his success to his wife Janet, his daughter Jennifer and son Ron, Jr., their love and support has inspired and motivated him throughout his lengthy career.